Saturday, January 31, 2009

crocheted towel holder pattern

After our last crochet-themed post, we had a few requests for the pattern to make this little crocheted towel holder. So here you go! I'll also put one up for sale in my Etsy shop if you just don't see yourself making one. Enjoy!

Towel Ring Pattern


Materials:
*Size H (5.00mm) crochet hook
*Two strands of cotton yarn held together (we like Lily's Sugar 'n Cream)
*Button (approx. 3/4" to 1")


Stitches used: hdc, crossed hdc (explained in this post), magic ring technique


Ring:
Using the magic ring technique, create ring and ch 2. Do 30 hdc around ring, sl st to first hdc. Turn. Pull yarn tail if needed to make ring tight, but not so tight that the stitches get bunched up.


Tab top:
Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), crossed hdc across. End with hdc in last st. Ch 2, turn. Repeat for 10 rows. Fasten off, weave in ends.


Fold tab over to top of ring. Position and center button under tab on first row of crossed hdc. Make sure it can squeeze between stitches (that's your makeshift buttonhole). Sew on button. Enjoy your towel ring!



P.S. We've had quite a few comments asking what the stitch abbreviations mean and other basic crochet questions. We recommend you ask a friend to show you the basics, and find a book or CD-ROM that explains the terms and stitches in detail before beginning our crochet projects. Although they're all quite simple patterns, we've found you'll only get frustrated if you haven't practiced the basics first!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
22 Comments

22 Responses to “crocheted towel holder pattern”

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Thanks for the pattern. I'm going to make a few of these - I'm so tired of having my dishtowels on the floor.

Barbara Brown said...

i just taught myself to knit this past week. guess i am up to learn some crochet too. you can look at the dishrag i knitted if ya want, i blogged about it.
barbara brown

thetoddlerwhisperer said...

I've seriously had this towel holder on my brain since you first posted it...I am so happy you posted the pattern!! Thank you!

pam said...

Thank you for sharing, I had made up one of my own, and the little circle part just stretches as you use it, so thanks for sharing the secret...

kit said...

I dont understand the tab on this, how many stitches do you use to make the tab??? thanks

Anonymous said...

I love this!!!! I can't wait to share it with my crochet group.
Thanks!

nansee said...

Wow! This is a great idea! I'm going to print it for the ladies of the Vets organization. They love making quick items and selling them at Vet functions; all proceeds go to the Vets! Thanks ever so much!

Anonymous said...

How many HDC are you supposed to make for the tab? You say to do crossed HDC all the way across, but I think you mean 10 or 12 stitches across? Thanks!

jessie19864 said...

Im a bit confused. I can do the magic ring and the hdc the whole way around thats no biggie. I dont see anywhere telling you how many rows to go across making the longer part of it. It said repeat for 10 rows but i figure that means do it 10 more times.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Geez, it's been a long time since I posted this, so hopefully I can answer these questions! I think what I should have said instead of hdc across is "work 10 hdc across". That's about how many I did across that "side" of the ring. You can do as many across as you think look good, but too many will make your ring more of an oval or rectangle. Then I turned and went back across, and kept turning and going across for 10 rows. I hope that clarifies! Sorry about that!

Alicia said...

Came across this, lost it, and after 2 days of searching I found you again! Love this pattern. Thank you!

Hilary said...

Could you tell me where you got your button? I have been looking for some wood-like buttons and haven't been able to find any.

Unknown said...

I am making one of these (at least) right now! :)

Conniecrafter said...

thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

Thank you for the pattern. I did the old way and like this. Seen where someone wanted wooden button she can make them herself from tree branches. So neat.

Unknown said...

I love this - but what I'd the tab buttoned around? A rail of some kind??? I don't see anything like that in my kitchen. Am I missing something really obvious? Thanks - Carolyn

Unknown said...

Ok, Ive made a couple of these and here are my thoughts. 1) add more to the magic ring because a regular kitchen towel won't fit 2) how does a person stop the magic ring from getting bigger? Each time you put a towel into the circle it stretches out. Otherwise the item turned out cute.

Unknown said...

Nancy~ I use a plastic ring (2") and croched around that instead of the magic circle. Keeps its shape!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the pattern. I have lots of the towels where the holder is crocheted right to the towel but this looks like a practical idea. Timely too because I just picked up a bunch of new towels in fun patterns.

Unknown said...

Love this! I'll me making one for sure and posting a link to your blog on mine, if that's ok. Thanks!
cravingthechaos.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I loved the pattern. I was so inspired that I crochet 7 of them today!

Thanks

Unknown said...

beautiful idea, I shared your link in my crochet group in facebook. Thanks for the wonderful idea, I´m making some of this for my friends

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs